Lately I have been weighing the pros and cons of living in an apartment. We have always wanted to own our own home but we also know that there are a lot of things that we need to get lined up before we can even think about starting that process. First we need to get Travis through or at least almost done with school, we need to find a place that we WANT to live, find a job that means staying in one place for more than a year, and save up some money. Also lately we have had alot of things that you would assume comes with living in an apartment but that you don't fully remember until you actually start living in one.
1. Hearing the people upstairs yelling at the top of their lungs, screaming profanities at each other for HOURS!
2. The carpet cleaners hooking up their cleaning machines to our water spicket because we have the only one in the building right outside our bedroom and my poor husband (who works nights) has to try and sleep through the high pitched whining sound of the water pressure.
3. Paying for the use of an apartment shared office and the once in a blue moon time that you go to use the copier/printer it is out of ink or paper, EVERY time!
4. The neighbors that drink and party EVERY weekend until all hours of the night and of course they can't hang out in front of their apartments they have to be right in front of OUR apartment. These activities bringing about policeman ringing your doorbell at 2:30am, someone passing out because of alcohol poisoning and the ambulance being called at 3am, and the drunken yelling all night long.
5. Only 1 covered parking spot, which is assigned. Our lovely neighbors have like a million cars and they used to take up ALL the spaces before we actually got our assignments and I can't stress enough the importance of covered parking here, it's a necessity. They also like to work on their cars out in the parking lot and I always find bits of sharp metal just laying right in our parking space or close by, I am afraid one day it will result in a flat tire!
Anyway, these are just some of the complaints I have about living in the apartment we are in now. We hope to someday have a home of our own but I feel it might be a while before that happens and in the meantime I know that all apartments come with their share of problems but man I am at the end of my rope! I think we are going to move somewhere else when our lease us up but we have six more months! Hopefully it will go by fast!
Oh, and I can only think of two good things about living in our apartment...
1. Less to clean
2. No yard to care for, even though I would love to have a garden but it is WAY to hot here to try and be outside taking care of plants everyday.
That's it! Only 2 things. We also tried to cut back on our air conditioning and only turn it on when necessary like when trying to get to sleep, but tonight I was so hot and I glanced at the thermostat and it read 88...88 degrees, inside! I hate it seriously! We can't even go for a swim to cool down the pools heat up to bath tub temps and it's not even refreshing! I hope it cools down a little but August is supposed to be one of the hottest months of the year. We will see how we endure, for now we have 2 trips to Utah planned throughout the next couple of months for family reunions to try and escape the heat for a couple of weekends!
Friday, August 1, 2008
Apartment living!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
WHen we lived in our apartment i was 7 months prego and the people upstairs had a party and someone ended up throwing up right in front of our door. It was nastey, then it took mantanence 3 days to clean it up. Gross
Oh I feel your pain. Mike and I haven't had it quite as bad, but some of the same things. Drunk crazy guy always outside our door and he's totally creepy. Drunken parties outside our bedroom window. They set up a hammock, bbq, lawn chairs and they go for the night. Had cops the last couple of weekends so I'm hoping it's calming them down. Keep us updated. I hope it gets better for you soon.
I know what you mean. Its good to be out but it comes with more burdens than you have listed. Trust me!
Oh, apartment living! We did that for 7 years before we got to have a house - for 10 months! Anyway, I understand your pain. In DE we delt with the every weekend party across the hall with underage drinking, puking, littering, noise, vandalism, etc. for quite a while. If it gets to loud, or goes later than you want to deal with, call the cops yourself - that's how we took care of it on multiple occasions. Maybe after a few times they will get the hint. : )
Post a Comment