So it's 2:17am and seriously this has been going on for WEEKS! I can't get to sleep! Travis works nights; Thursday through Sunday. I usually end up staying awake until he gets home on Thursdays and Fridays since he comes home about 1-2 am that is still a little on the late side, but I like to talk to him when he gets home, and I usually fall asleep before he gets home on Saturdays and Sundays because he does not get home until 6am on those days. This has caused my sleep schedule to become totally out of whack! I can't shake this sleeping schedule! No matter how early I get up in the morning I still stay awake almost all night and then sleep until noon the next day! My body tells me that I am tired but if I go in and try to lay down and sleep my mind wanders for hours and I end up just staring into space thinking about, well, everything! I don't even take naps during the day! I need to get back on track, I feel like I am losing all my days!
Hopefully when school starts up again and I start working everyday I can get back on a regular sleeping schedule. I know this can't be good for me! If anyone has any suggestions that would be so helpful. My mom suggested melatonin a herbal sleep aid, I might try it out! I hate Insomnia!
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
I have become an Insomniac!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Darn it. That must be frustrating. I admit I would probably be the same way if Tyson worked those hours.
They say if you want to get your body into good sleeping habits, to set some sort of alarm every night about an hour before you need to be in bed. This alarm is kind of your warning that it's time to start settling down and getting ready for bed. You wash your face, brush your teeth, maybe read in bed. Then, when it's time for bed, you're mentally prepared. I would suggest taking some tylenol PM or some other mild sleeping pill to help you get into the mode at first...but it shouldn't be too hard to snap back into. It's all about routine. Your body will get into a routine and eventually you'll start to feel tired at the same time each night.
I used the alarm technique and it really does seem to help and it's nice to have a reminder that says, "Hey, it's time to start thinking about going to bed now."
Hope this helps!
Welcome to the club! I have the same problem. I was in bed at 11:30 trying to force myself to sleep and probably didn't actually fall asleep until 2:30. Let me know if you figure out any good tips. I made myself get up at 9, b/c usually I'll sleep in too. Anger!
ps thanks so much for the cruise tips.
I'm starting to get a little bit of this myself. I've started reading at night and that has really helped me. I can't seem to read more than 10 pages before my eyes get all droopy. With those hours that Travis is keeping it'll be hard not to wait up for him, though. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out that may help. :)
I had this same problem earlier this year. I had been sick, and I started a new medication that made it hard for me to sleep at night. It took I think a month before I could finally re-train my body to know when it's time for sleep.
A couple tips:
Usually around 8pm I dim the lights in our apartment. We have a couple floor lamps in our living room and I found that if I turn one on around 8 and turn the big overhead light off, then it's dim enough that your body will start to recognize after a couple weeks that it's time to start winding down, but there's still plenty of light to do whatever you need to.
I stopped snacking late in the evenings. For some reason it seemed like if my stomach was awake working on digesting, then my body was awake too. I know that for some people the exact opposite is true though.
I stopped letting myself lay down on the couch to watch tv in the evenings. Usually I like to get all snuggly with a blanket and watch tv at nights, but I realized I was confusing my body about what that meant. So now if I am going to be awake, I just sit on the floor and lean against the couch to watch tv. So now whenever I lay in bed or on the couch my body starts to get tired because it knows that laying down means sleep.
For a while I did try falling asleep to boring classical music (so that there aren't words I would try to pay attention to). It worked, but I didn't want to be "dependent" on the music to fall asleep, so I stopped.
Whatever you do, good luck with it. It's really hard to get your body back in line after it goes crazy on you. Hopefully school will help - since you'll be so worn out from homework and stuff!
Post a Comment